Sunday, July 24, 2011

Introducing Solids

We decided to wait until the six month mark to start Jesse on solid foods, so about a week and a half ago, Jesse got to try his first "real" food. I've been excited about this milestone for a while now because 1) I love food, 2) I love cooking and have been looking forward to making my own baby food, and 3) I've been really curious how Jesse will respond to solids. I will say that starting solids was a little anti-climactic, though. For some reason, I was expecting Jesse to embrace his first spoonful of rice cereal, but he actually eyed it somewhat smugly and refused to open his mouth for it. When we finally got a little bit into his mouth, he looked like we had just done something awful to him.


The first three or four days we gave him brown rice cereal and then the past several days I have given him some sweet potatoes. Until today, he basically showed no interest and I had to nearly pry his mouth open if I wanted to get anything in him. I was expecting the same response today, but he opened up his own mouth for the first bite, and for several bites after that. Then he was no longer interested, and even though he would open his mouth, he would just blow it all right back out, causing it to splatter all over his high chair. Even though he still looked somewhat baffled by the food in his mouth today, he swallowed it well and gladly accepted more, and he didn't really seem to thrust any of it back out (except for when he started to play with it), so that was good.

We've also introduced the sippy cup now that he's begun eating solids. I don't think he gets very much out of it, but he knows what to do with it, and he especially seems to like the water on hot days like today. This afternoon we walked over to Sonic for Happy Hour and Jesse really liked sipping on some water when we got back inside from the heat.

No comments:

Post a Comment