Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Jesse vs. the Squirrel

A little more than a week ago, Jesse developed a love for the squirrel on our playground.  He especially loved chasing this squirrel around.  Even though he was managing to get pretty close to it, it never even crossed my mind that he would actually be able to touch it.  Squirrels are pretty fast creatures, right?  Being the wonderful mom that I am (note the sarcasm here), I didn't discourage him from chasing it, and I might have even encouraged him slightly.

One evening after dinner, James took Jesse out to the playground and of course, Jesse began chasing the squirrel again.  I had told James earlier about Jesse's new-found love, and so James was also not concerned about it (he just assumed I actually knew what I was talking about and that there was no problem with Jesse chasing squirrels).  Well, Jesse found the squirrel busily digging a hole under some playground equipment and took this as an opportunity to run up to him and grab his tail.  Yes, he actually managed to catch him by the tail.  As you can imagine, the squirrel was not so happy about this.  According to James (so glad I didn't have to witness this), the squirrel turned around and lunged onto Jesse, which left several scratches on his arms and legs.  Needless to say, Jesse was pretty upset.  Now that Jesse hasn't contracted rabies or any other terrible disease, I feel like I can look back and see the humor in this.  How many one-year-olds catch a squirrel by the tail?

Now you might think that Jesse has a terrible fear of these creatures.  I certainly would.  But no, Jesse still loves squirrels and frequently talks about chasing them.  Here is a short conversation between me and Jesse about them.


1 comment: