Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Harper Street Halloween

Every year on Halloween, three blocks in Hyde Park are blocked off and the residents go all-out decorating their Victorian-style homes for Halloween.  Jesse was too little to care last year, but this year I knew he would enjoy getting to see all the decorations (especially the pumpkins).  Plus, this event is on my list of things I want to do in Chicago, and since it's possible we won't be here this time next year, I had to make it priority this year.  It's a South Side tradition, and it draws people from all over Chicago and even people as far away as Indiana (or so I've heard).

We showed up a little early, and some homes were still being decorated, but I feel like we got to see plenty.  I could tell by the time we left that things were gearing up.  It's apparently pretty crazy later on, when thousands of kids are trick-or-treating these three narrow blocks.

Since Jesse's robot costume was not conducive to sitting in a stroller, I dug out his monkey costume from last year, and it surprisingly fit pretty well (albeit a tad snug).







James met us there on his way home from school.

 
Pure happiness.  Jesse got to touch a fire hydrant.  He loves these things and never fails to find them.









 

No comments:

Post a Comment