Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Welcome to our (not so clean) home!

If you were to step into our home at any point in the day when Jesse is awake, this is what you would find (multiply the number of small objects on the floor by 10):



Yes, you would see that cute little boy named Jesse, but you would also see (perhaps trip over) an array of toys. I am exaggerating (slightly), but some days I feel like I am just constantly picking up toys.

Jesse begins his day by going to his toy bins and methodically throwing as many toys as possible onto the floor. Sometimes he just picks up a whole bin of toys and chunks the entire thing across the room.

Then, he might find one toy he wants to play with for a minute or two before proceeding to do the same with all of our things (he doesn't get very far in that endeavor, though, before one of us stops him).

A term I learned in my high-school chemistry class has been running through my mind a lot these days: entropy. It's a measure of the amount of disorder. This kid creates a high level of entropy, or in other words, a high level of disorder, wherever he goes.

Lucky for me, it really doesn't take very long to put everything back where it belongs. He's a pretty fun kid, too, so that works in his favor as well :)


4 comments:

  1. haha... i've gotten to where i don't pick up toys until the end of the day! our house is the same way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow.. I'm sure we are not far from the same kinds of days!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You might want to put some of the toys away in the closet and rotate the ones that you have out. Not only would this reduce the number of toys he could spread around the house, but he would be more interested in playing with things that he hasn't seen for awhile. It becomes like a "new" toy all over again. I did this a lot with my kids' toys. Of course, they still made big messes with the ones that were out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure Jesse will find a way to make a mess. He is an agent of chaos and destruction.

    ReplyDelete